LIBRARY GROUP BILL
VERSION DATED APRIL 4, 1996
TITLE ___________. - Quincy Library Group
Sec. ___. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
(a) FINDINGS. - The Congress finds and declares that:
(1) The Quincy Library Group is to be commended for their efforts to improve and enhance National Forest resource management in northern California;
(2) The Quincy Library Group Agreement of June, 1993 embodies the highest priorities for accomplishment on these National Forests; and
(3) Implementation of the Quincy Library Group Agreement could serve as a valuable pilot, or test project for the rest of the National Forest System.
(b) PURPOSE. - The purpose of this title is to direct the Secretary of Agriculture and Chief of the US Forest Service to initiate immediately all feasible measures necessary to implment the Quincy Library Group Agreement of June, 1993.
Sec. ___. DEFINITIONS
As used in this title -
(1) the term "Agreement" means the Quincy Library Group Agreement cited in Sec. ___.,signed in June, 1993, and hereby incorporated by reference; and
(2) the term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture; and
(3) the term "Chief" means the Chief of the US Forest Service.
Sec. ___. DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM
(a) DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM REQUIRED. - During fiscal year 1996, the Secretary and Chief are hereby directed to:
(1) implement the Quincy Library Group's proposal to construct fuelbreaks on not less than 15,000 acres; and
(2) begin immediately to amend Forest Land and Resource Management Plans to analyze the Agreement; and
(3) utilize the provisions of the Agreement, including the recommendations for lands available for management, as the basis for all interim land management activities while Land Management Plan revisions, as provided in subsection (a) (2) occur, and
(4) formulate a 5-year plan to establish, commencing in fiscal year 1997, a fuelbreak system that constructs not less than 50,000 acres of fuelbreaks each year within these National Forests; and
(5) adhere to the National Enviromental Policy Act, National Forest Management Act, and all other applicable laws for management of the National Forest System.
(b) The Secretary and the Chief shall report to Congress all progress toward meeting the objectives of this Title on, or before September of 1997.
03/09/97 09:54:19 PM